Today’s recipe brings back a lot of childhood memories for me and I was so happy with the way it turned out that I had to share it with you all! Being vegan, there is always that fear in the back of your mind that once you make the transition, you’ll miss out on your old favorite dishes … this could not be further from the truth when it comes to today’s recipe… Vegan Tortilla Española!
This is a great dish for a brunch or dinner party, packed with flavor, and very easy to prepare.
The base of any good Tortilla Española is 3 simple ingredients : potatoes, onions and eggs (in this case VEGAN ones!)
Your tortilla can be complemented with any vegetable and additional spices/ herbs are always a plus to get your own unique flavor but I have found that for this recipe, simplicity is key.
- 2 cups of vegan egg substitute (it is crucial you buy the right kind! HERE is a link to the one I used)
- 4 large potatoes
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 cup of spinach
- Handful of chopped up mushrooms
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 3-4 tbsp cooking oil
- Dash of paprika
- Salt/pepper to taste
Of course this recipe can be modified in any way but I wanted to include the exact ingredients that were used in the picture you see if you’re trying to attain this exact result!
- Start with the potatoes ! Wash them thoroughly and slice them thinly (about 1cm thick) cut into nice circles that resemble sand dollars.
- Add three tablespoons of oil to a large and deep pan and turn to med/high heat. (Remember to pick your pan wisely as the tortilla will take its shape)
- Once the oil is warm, add in the potato slices, completely covering the bottom of the pan.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare your vegan eggs! Following the instructions on the box, make 2 cups worth and whisk frequently.
- Don’t burn the potatoes! Make sure the potatoes are browning evenly, cook both sides.
- Sauté onions and any other veggies you have chosen in a separate pan or in the same pan if you push the potatoes to the side, cooking the veggies in the middle.
- Once everything has had the time to get nice and lightly crisped and the onions have caramelized, remove the contents from the pan
- Add the fourth tablespoon of oil to the pan and spread evenly.
- Next, add a thin layer of the vegan egg to the bottom of the pan (about half of the mixture and begin to layer your veggies on evenly.
- Once all of your veggies have been added, cover them with the remaining egg mixture and allow to cook on medium heat for about four minutes.
- Here comes the most fun part! Grab a plate and cover your tortilla (in the pan) and flip it ! This is a little scary but just do it quickly and use an oven mit to prevent accidents.
- Next, transfer the tortilla back to the pan to cook the other side for another four minutes on low heat before serving!
Sometimes when I prepare this dish I add in a tablespoon of mashed potato powder to thicken up the eggs. This can also be done with flour in order to get a more solid tortilla. While you’re at it, throw in some nutritional yeast if you have any because it’s a really easy way to get more vitamin B12!
Sending you all vegan love,
Vegan Geese ❤